Thursday, November 13, 2008

Counting with leaves

I'll be the first to admit that not only is homeschooling beneficial to the child but it also gives the parent a second shot at childhood (maybe not but after you get over the initial stress of wanting everything to be perfect, it can become a stress reliever)…….I do have my own paint set and pack of crayons though! Teaching a child in kindergarten and keeping the attention of the preschoolers has proven difficult at times but it has also given me the opportunity to be as creative as possible. The fall has brought with it many "creative" learning opportunities that have been fun and educational for each of the children.

Fun with leaves- (math)

  1. The children and I gathered as many fallen leaves of different colors that we could find. We bought them inside and put them into piles by color. After all of the leaves were in a pile I explained the rule of addition and made math problems for my kindergartener. Ex. One red leaf + One yellow leaf= 2 leaves
  2. (For the preschooler) Simply counting the leaves proved to be fun and educational for my preschoolers

Fun with leaves- (art)

  1. After we were done with math we used our leaves to make art. Here is a picture of our "leaf" art:


our book

No comments: